Jet fuel, crude oil, Diesel blends: Applied NIR-Spectroscopy – quality control of hydrocarbon refining
May 20 2016
Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS) enables straightforward multi-parameter analysis of critical parameters for monitoring the refining of hydrocarbons. NIRS is a non-destructive secondary analysis method, NIRS does not require any handling of chemicals whatsoever, and real time measurements are performed at the push of a button.
NIRS is the ideal method for a wide range of applications:
- Distillation of crude oil: API Gravity, Reid Vapour Pressure (RVP), density, PIANO
- Lubricant oils: aromatics content, density, flame point, oil content, PAH, pourpoint, distillation analysis, viscosity
- Diesel blends: cetan index, cloudpoint, density, FAME, colour, flashpoint, etc.
Metrohm provides a comprehensive portfolio of NIRS instrumentation for laboratory and process analysis as well as a large number of documented applications (Application Notes). Among them are:
- AN-NIR-022 Petroleum product analysis by NIRS (cetane index, TAN, aromatics, and sulphur)
- AN-NIR-024 Measurement of diene value (DV) by NIRS
- AN-NIR-025 Real-time inline predictions of jet fuel properties by NIRS
Lab Asia 30.2 - April 2023
In This Edition Chromatography Articles - On-Column Sample Focussing: a Personal Perspective Mass Spectrometry & Spectroscopy Articles - Multi-scale, multi-modal and operando imaging wi...
View all digital editions
Jun 14 2023 Bangkok, Thailand
Jun 18 2023 Dusseldorf, Germany
Jun 19 2023 Shanghai, China
Jul 04 2023 Bethesda, MA, USA
Jul 04 2023 Cardiff, UK